Monday, October 17, 2011

Teddie Potter Brings Caring Economics to the Occupy Wall Street movement

Dear Conversation Leaders, 

We received the following email this weekend from Teddie Potter of Cohort E.  Thank you Teddie for modeling one powerful way of taking on the Caring Economics Conversation Leader role...taking it to the streets!  Teddie writes:

Dear friends,

I thought your hearts might warm at this story...

I just returned from the "Occupy Wall Street"-Minneapolis rally.  I have been very sympathetic to the cause but have wondered how my presence could make a difference. This week's Caring Economics "chat" with Riane helped me realize I need to change the conversation where ever I can.  I have been very frustrated that our local paper has given so little coverage to this issue so I wanted to be counted with the other 99%.  I tried to get someone to go with me to the rally but everyone was working or busy.  I decided I could go it alone.  When I arrived at the organizing site I chose a sign that had the silhouette of a college graduate and the words "We are the 99%."  I figured that was an appropriate sign for an educator to carry.  I also chose it because I am marching for our young people and the world they stand to inherit unless our way of doing business changes.

There were several hundred people at the rally so I was a bit surprised when a young woman walked up to me and inquired if she could take my picture and ask a few questions.  She said, "I am a journalism student at the University of Minnesota" (my current employer).  I told her why I was there and that I firmly believe there is a better way.  I said, "It's called Caring Economics.  Riane Eisler has thorough research that demonstrates caring for children, families, and workers benefits everyone.  Google her website for some really good data for your story."  

Next we marched down the street to Bank of America then Wells Fargo where the crowd grew even larger.  Once again a young person came up to me and asked to take my picture.  She asked me why I was there and I repeated my story.  I was there and that I firmly believe there is a better way.  "It's called Caring Economics.  Riane Eisler  has thorough research that demonstrates caring for children, families, and workers benefits everyone. Google her website for some really good data for your story."  By the way, this journalist was from Minneapolis Community and Technical College, my former employer!

I no longer doubt the power of one voice speaking the truth. 

- Teddie

No comments:

Post a Comment